While there is no magic weight loss pill, the common chickpea seems to come close — at least as a natural diet supplement.
Nutritionist Julie Upton calls these beans a multitasking food for dieters. Chickpeas help keep hunger in check because they offer a significant source of fiber, are chock full slow-to-digest protein to keep you feeling full longer, and can keep your carbohydrate cravings in check by maintaining stable blood sugar levels.
And there's science to back this up. According to a study published in the journal Appetite, regularly eating chickpeas helped keep dieters on track. Study participants, who ate a half cup of chickpeas containing 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein daily, consumed fewer calories from high fat, low fiber foods; but once they stopped eating the beans, the participants began to snack more on less healthy fare.
Our advice: go gonzo for garbanzo beans, especially at snack time. No matter if you're craving savory or sweet, we have a few recipes to recommend:
- Enjoy the flavors of the healthiest cuisine: Mediterranean Spiced Beans
- A little spice to boost your metabolism: Spicy Roasted Garbanzo Beans
- Add the weight-loss powers of sweet potatoes: Sweet Potato Hummus
- Like candy but better for you: Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas
- Easy to make and no baking required: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Bake these for a post-workout snack: Chickpea Protein Cookies