The wonderful citrus combo of orange and chocolate comes together with buckwheat to make a delicious healthy breakfast. Gluten-free, vegan, and full of healthy protein goodness, this orange chocolate chia buckwheat cereal is sure to give you a good morning!
Let's be honest, I rarely make a breakfast that doesn't involve chocolate. The word on the street was orange goes rather well with chocolate too, so this seemed like a fitting idea. I also wanted to make this super "creamy" so to speak, and with the addition of the mighty chia seed, I got the exact consistency I wanted. This creamy buckwheat cereal is already just that: creamy. But the chia seeds make it extra "thick" and lovely.
I like my oatmeals, buckwheat cereals, quinoa flakes, and all hot cereals very thick. But when I make overnight oats, I always add tons of liquid; I like those extra-soupy. I love the flavor the cocoa powder gives the liquid and like to "drink" it out of the jar once I eat all the oats.
To learn more about this recipe, check out the post on Strength & Sunshine.
- 1/4 cup dry buckwheat cereal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 drops orange stevia
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Zest from half an orange
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons water
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the buckwheat cereal, chia seeds, and cocoa powder and give it all a stir. Next, add the rest of the ingredients (saving some orange zest for topping and the 2 tablespoons of water).
- Cover the bowl with a napkin and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Stir, recover, and microwave on high for another 90 seconds.
- Carefully remove the very hot bowl, stir in the 2 tablespoons of water, top with more orange zest.
- North American
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 3 minutes