Looking for a way to use up overripe bananas without having to turn on the oven to bake yet another loaf of banana bread on a hot Summer day? Strawberry banana creams are a refreshingly sweet recipe, but if you're vegan, here's an alternative.
These strawberry bites are filled with a chocolatey mashed banana-quinoa mixture, and topped with chopped raw almonds, so they're packed with rich flavor as well as fiber and protein.
Keep reading to find out how to whip up this simple 118-calorie treat.
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 banana
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 24 strawberries
- 12 almonds
- In a small covered pot, bring quinoa and one cup of water to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, place the cooked quinoa, maple syrup, banana, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and almond extract. Mash the banana and mix everything well. Allow to cool.
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Using a small paring knife, remove the green tops and scoop out the middle of each berry.
- Add a small scoop of the chocolate-quinoa mixture into the middle of each strawberry. Top with a few chopped almonds and snack on immediately, or place in the fridge in a covered container to enjoy later.
Source: Calorie Count
- Other, Snacks
- North American
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Calories per serving