Three-Legged Down Dog
This pose will strengthen the arms, upper back, and thighs as well as allow you to focus on stretching one hamstring at a time.
- Begin in Downward Facing Dog. Step both feet together so your big toes are touching.
- Shift weight onto your hands and your left foot equally. Then inhale to raise your right leg up to the ceiling.
- Try to keep your shoulders parallel with the ground and gaze at your left thigh or up toward your belly to help you stay balanced. To feel the stretch in your left hamstring, keep pressing your left heel down toward the ground.
- Stay here for five breaths.
- Then to open the hips, make large circles with the lifted leg clockwise for a few breaths and then counterclockwise.
- Lower your right leg down and switch sides.