A Japanese weight loss plan known as The Morning Banana Diet (also known as the Asa Banana Diet — asa means morning in Japanese) has been around for a while, which means many people are finding success with it. Before discussing if it works, here are the guidelines for the diet:
- For breakfast, eat one banana, or a few.
- For lunch and dinner, eat what you want. There are no strict rules about what to eat or portion sizes. Eat until you are satisfied, but not stuffed. Don't eat after 8 p.m. (6 p.m. is better).
- For all meals, sip room temperature water.
- A sweet snack of chocolate, cookies, or the like is allowed at 3 p.m.
- Allow at least four hours between your last meal and bedtime.
- Work out only if you want to, but don't force yourself if it stresses you out.
- Keep a food journal to document your daily food intake.
Wow. Basically you're encouraged to eat bananas for breakfast, and whatever else you want the rest of the day, as long as you stop eating four hours before you hit the hay? And exercise is optional? It amazes me that people have been losing weight this way, and what's with the bananas? To find out
One theory as to why this diet works has to do with enzymes found in nanners. They supposedly speed up digestion and elimination, which results in rapid weight loss. Huh? In my experience, bananas are know for their binding properties. Another theory has to do with resistant starches found in bananas, a type of fiber that supposedly promotes fullness and increases fat burning, but a medium-sized banana only contains about three grams of fiber — not breaking the fiber bank.
This diet may be having positive results since being on a diet in general makes people aware of what they're eating. It has nothing to do with the bananas though, since this fruit doesn't have any special powers when it comes to weight loss. Any diet plan that promotes eating unhealthy treats and optional exercise doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle you can maintain, so it's not a diet you should even consider trying. If weight loss is on your mind, don't fall for this banana scheme. Eat a healthy diet full of lean proteins, whole grains, and plenty of fruits and veggies, and get moving at least 30 minutes a day. That's the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off.