Hiking is all about setting your mind free while getting your heart pumping. As freeing as your time outside may be, there are some rules that hikers must follow — call it the hiking code of conduct if you will! See the dos and don’ts of hiking below.
- If you’re hiking alone, be sure to tell someone where you are, just in case!
- Stick to the trail, so you don’t disrupt the natural habitat.
- If nature calls while you’re on the trail, be sure to avoid natural water sources and veer slightly off trail. If you use toilet paper, pack it out with you.
- Don’t disrupt the animals — it is their home, after all.
- Don’t take anything but photos. Picking flowers or plants is a big no-no.
- Do not litter. Whatever you bring on your hike, make sure you throw it away in the trash.
- Be mindful of other hikers, and respect the quietness of nature.