Photo: Nicole Perry
I used to be a spinach fan but got turned on to kale. Now, I cannot stop eating it. I love it in smoothies, in salads, as kale chips, and in soups. It's such a versatile vegetable and is incredibly good for you. Over the years, I've created quite a few recipes using kale. Today I'm going to share my top five kale recipes.
Chicken and Rice Soup With Kale
- Chicken broth
- Handful of cooked chicken
- Frozen corn
- Clove of garlic
- Couple of handfuls of kale
- 1 cup already cooked rice (we love Trader Joe's Jasmine Rice, but any rice will do)
- Simmer all the ingredients except for rice for 30 or so minutes.
- Then add in rice. Stir and serve. That's it!
Butternut Squash and Kale Pizza
- Any pizza dough you love
- Handful of kale, steamed
- Sea salt
- Roasted butternut squash with coconut oil, then mashed
- Handful of your choice of cheese (I chose cheddar)
- I start out by roasting my butternut squash in the oven at 450°F with sea salt and coconut oil. When the butternut squash is done (after about 40 minutes), let it cool down for about 10 minutes, then mash it.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, I take a handful of kale, put it in a saucepan, add a bit of water and sea salt, then let the water come to a boil to steam the kale, which really just makes it softer.
- Next, I spread the mashed butternut squash around on the pizza crust, then I place the kale on top, then sprinkle some more sea salt and then a handful of cheese.
- I bake the pizza at 475°F for about 15 minutes, and dinner is served.
Roasted Root Veggie Soup With Kale
- 2-1/2-pound bag of diced root veggies, or dice your own (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, potatoes)
- 1 onion, diced
- Coconut oil
- 2 handfuls of kale
- 4 cups chicken stock
- I buy a five-pound bag of diced root veggies and roast half of it at 450°F with onions, coconut oil, and sea salt for 40 minutes.
- Then I add the four cups of chicken stock to my crockpot, add the roasted veggies, and simmer on low for four hours.
- At the end, I toss in the kale, let it set for a few minutes, then serve.
It was a hit with the husband. He absolutely loved it. The kids weren't so sure, but they tried it. And this made enough that I get it for lunch at school!
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein shake of your choice (I chose Designer Whey)
- 1 container coconut water (or you can use 1 cup of almond milk)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of kale
- Add the kale and coconut water to the blender and blend. This makes the bits a little smaller if you don't have a Vitamix and have a cheapo like me. There's still a few bits, but not as bad.
- Then I add in the rest of the ingredients, blend, pour into a container, and head off to work. A healthy breakfast is served in less than five minutes.
Kale Balsamic Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, chilled
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 2 tablespoons balsamic dressing
- 1 handful almonds
- 1 diced apple
- Add all ingredients to a large container, drizzle the dressing on top, and take to work.
- I have found that by letting the dressing set with kale, it's a little softer and tastes amazing.
How do you like to add kale to your meals?