If you're craving egg noodles but want something less filling (and just as easy to pull together), try this eggplant "noodle" recipe from FitSugar reader Sprint2theTable, posted in our Healthy Recipe group, which substitutes noodles made from tofu instead.
My mom recently told me about Shirataki Noodles — apparently it is just tofu pressed into noodles. It's gluten-free, vegan, low-cal, and — most importantly — a quick fix.
To go with my noodles, I roasted some eggplant, red onion, and garlic in a quick vinaigrette. Then tossed it all with an heirloom tomato (because I didn't get enough at the tomato festival) and more Purple Haze goat cheese.
Perfect light dinner for a Summer day!!!
Read on for the full recipe.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
5 cloves garlic
1T marsala wine
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp herbes de provence
1 tsp red pepper flakes (reduce to 1/2 if you are sensitive to spicy foods)
1 package Shirataki noodles (or 2 servings of pasta)
S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. Generously salt the slices, allowing them to sit for 15-20 mins. Wiping away the beads of water that form (this process removes excess moisture - which makes eggplant "slimey" - and bitterness).
- Meanwhile, whisk together the oil, marsala, vinegar, herbs, and pepper flakes.
- Cut the eggplant slices into 1/2 inch cubes and toss in a large bowl with the garlic, red onion, and vinaigrette. Spread eggplant onto foil-lined baking sheet and roast for ~30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Prepare noodles as instructed on package.
- Divide among two plates, adding extra topping as desired (I loved how the added cheese melted and clung to mine!).
Makes 2 servings (or 4 sides).
- Other, Main Dishes
Share your own recipes in our Healthy Recipe group and we might feature it on the homepage!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.