- 6 Belgian endives
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
1 tablespoon coarse mustard (with seeds)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of sea salt, or plain salt
1/3 cup walnut oil or olive oil
½ cup finely chopped California walnut pieces, toasted
- Pull off and set aside twenty whole leaves of endive — removing several attractive leaves from each head.
- Slice the remaining endives crosswise, on the bias, into ¾-inch lengths. Separate the pieces as you work, transferring them to a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the Sherry wine vinegar, both mustards and the salt. Gradually add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly to make a smooth emulsion.
- Place five of the reserved whole endive leaves on each of four plates, criss-crossing and stacking them to make a five-point star.
- Toss the sliced endive with the toasted walnuts and the dressing. Divide among the salad plates, spooning it over the center of each star.
Nutrition information per serving: 380 calories, 28g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 15g monounsaturated fat, 9g polyunsaturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 25g fiber, 12g protein