We all have our favorite excuses for not working out but if yours is, "I'm just too darn tired after work to go to the gym," then here are some tips for you:
- Go straight to the gym after work. Stops at home or anywhere else (where people are not working out) may lessen your chances of making it to the gym.
- If you workout at home then don't sit down. Whether it's working out with a video or hopping on your at home elliptical, get right to it.
- Change before you leave. I know it sounds weird, but duck into the bathroom and change before leaving the office. This way you're armed and ready to go.
- Strength in numbers. Convince a co-worker to do it with you, for whatever reason we are less inclined to let others down (while we have no problem letting ourselves down).
- Get to work earlier (if possible) so you can leave earlier. This only works if your job is a bit flexible but leaving even 15 minutes earlier may motivate you because you'll be done sooner.
- Eat a late afternoon snack with lean protein and complex carbs. Whole-grain crackers with cheese, for example, will give you a little boost of energy.
- Get enough sleep. This one is pretty self explanatory.
- Don't go every single day after work. This way going to the gym won't feel like a life sentence.
- If all else fails, workout sometime other than after work. Maybe you're better suited to workout before work, or maybe you're a lunch workout warrior. You'll never know until you try.
Is this not your excuse? Check out my other tips on getting over excuses for not working out.