If having more sex is one of your New Year's Resolutions for 2008 (don't laugh, it's on my husband's list every year) then you may be doing more for your health than you originally thought. Here are some reasons why:
- Sleep enhancement. There’s no need to count sheep when sex, including masturbation, helps insomnia.
- A better, younger looking you. Sex keeps you looking and feeling younger and, according to some research, may lead to shiny hair, a glowing complexion and bright eyes.
- Mood lifter. Sex releases pleasure-inducing endorphins during arousal and climax that can relieve depression and anxiety, and increase vibrancy.
- Longevity. There is a significant relationship between frequency of orgasm and risk of death, especially with men.
- Decreased risk of breast cancer. One study of women who had never given birth found that an increased frequency of sexual intercourse was correlated with a decrease in the incidence of breast cancer.
- Reproductive health benefits. According to at least one study, sex appears to decrease a man’s risk of prostate cancer, and the prevention of endometriosis in women.