If you're familiar with bloating, you're probably a pro at avoiding the foods that make your stomach swell. But before you start cutting everything out of your diet and become a breatharian, there's still a way to enjoy the foods you love without overly complicating your life, and it's simple: make smarter swaps.
With the help of dietitian Simone Austin, we've rounded up the best-for-your-belly swaps that will stop bloating in its tracks and still keep meal time exciting. Sure, some are no-brainers (hello, water trumps soft drink any day), but there are a few on the list you may not have considered but really should . . .
- Swap onions for spring onions (the green end in particular)
- Swap garlic for olive oil infused with garlic
- Swap cabbage for bok choy
- Swap pasta for zucchini noodles
- Swap cow-based cheeses for goat's cheese
- Swap dairy-based yogurt for coconut yogurt
- Swap cow's milk for nut milk
- Swap white bread for spelt bread
- Swap gluten-based grains for quinoa
- Swap apples for bananas
- Swap broccoli and cauliflower for cucumber and spinach
- Swap sparkling water for water
But that's not all . . .
Looking for flavor? Use salt flakes, pepper, and lemon or lime juice instead of garlic and onion.
If fruit is a tricky space to navigate for your tummy, it's best to stay away from stone fruits and stick to berries, kiwi fruit, and citrus.