Sometimes, nothing comforts quite like a warm, gooey cheddar biscuit — unless, of course, you have a gluten intolerance. Enter this recipe from the Wheat Belly Cookbook. These dense, flavorful biscuits are made with an almond meal and flaxseed mix. The result? A protein- and fiber-filled biscuit that's also high in heart-healthy omega-3 fats. Make a batch and serve as a burger bun or alongside your favorite gluten-free gravy.
Get the recipe below.
- 1 cup almond meal or flour
- 1 cup ground golden flaxseeds
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond meal or flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, and onion powder. Cut in the butter until combined. Stir in the cheddar.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon the dough into eight rounds on the baking sheet. Flatten to approximately 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Source: Calorie Count
- Side Dishes
- 8 servings
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving