Summer is here, which means strawberries are at their peak ripeness. Crumbles and cobblers are a delicious and easy way to enjoy Summer's bounty. However, it's tough to find gluten-free options that actually taste good. The combination of brown rice flour, flax, and oatmeal gives this version of a strawberry crumble a crunchiness that complements the melt-in-your-mouth strawberries. This recipe is also high in fiber and vitamin C and low in sugar.
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. brown rice syrup, heated in saucepan
- 1 Tbs. flax seed
- 3 Tbs. oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbs. organic sugar or maple crystals
- 1 Tbs. salted butter or Earth Balance, cold and cubed
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice, and warm brown rice syrup. Pour mixture in a 4-cup baking dish or pan.
2. In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Using a fork, mash in butter and vanilla until butter is thoroughly incorporated and mixture resembles sand. Sprinkle dry mixture over strawberries.
3. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until strawberries are bubbling and crust is golden.
Nutrition Info Source: Calorie Count