If you've always loved beets but have never had them grilled, you're going to flip for this salad. Because the beets get to mingle in the freshly made strawberry vinaigrette, this is the perfect salad to layer in a mason jar to take on the go.
Besides tasting great, the nutritional aspects of the dish will get you excited to make this part of your regular lunch rotation. At 460 calories, the salad contains 34 grams of protein and almost nine grams of fiber, making it filling enough to keep you satisfied for hours. All it takes is a little prep on the grill, and consider tomorrow's lunch made.
Feel free to double or triple the recipe to make a few lunches at a time.
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
Pinch of dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon honey
- For the salad:
- 2 beets, scrubbed
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3 ounces raw chicken breast
1/2 apple, washed and diced
2 cups raw spinach (or arugula)
1 ounce goat cheese
5 pecans, chopped
- Prepare the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a blender. Pour dressing into the bottom of a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar.
- Turn on the grill to medium-hot. Wash, peel, and slice the beets. Place in a bowl, drizzle with half a teaspoon of olive oil, and stir until evenly coated. Place the slices on the grill, and cook on each side for about eight to 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the grill and allow to cool. Cut slices in half.
- Pound your chicken breast if you need to in order for it to be the same thickness. Rub it with the rest of the olive oil (half a teaspoon), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place it on the grill. Cook for four or five minutes on each side. Allow to cool before dicing.
- Start layering the salad in the jar beginning with the beets, the spinach, then the apples, the chicken, and the goat cheese, then sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
- Screw the top on the jar securely, and store it in the fridge.
- When you're ready to eat, give the jar a good shake to mix everything up and enjoy right out of the jar!
Source: Calorie Count
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving