We are pumped to share one of our favorite stories from Self here on FitSugar!
To celebrate National School Lunch Week, Self decided to drum up five amazing lunches you can bring to class — or work or pretty much anywhere. Readers always complain that they never have enough time to pack a well-rounded meal for themselves (or the little ones), so we gave you quick, easy options that'll have you out the door in five minutes or less. Promise!
- Delicious Dippers: Fill a large plastic container with at least 1/2 cup of three different types of veggies (baby carrots, mini sweet peppers and sugar snap peas are my faves), a single-serving packet of hummus, a single-serving packet of salsa and a hard-boiled egg (look for precooked and peeled eggs in the deli section of your grocery store). At lunchtime, enjoy trying different dip-and-dipper combinations.
- Tuna Lettuce Wraps: First, make the savory sauce for the wraps by stirring together two tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt and two tablespoons hummus with a few dashes of hot sauce. Put sauce in an airtight container and add to your brown bag. Next, wash five to six large lettuce leaves and put them in a plastic bag before adding them to your lunch tote along with a small can of chunk light tuna, one cup grapes, and half of a whole wheat pita. When lunchtime rolls around, simply drain the tuna and mix it with the savory sauce. Then enjoy a spoonful of the tuna mixture on each lettuce leaf with the grapes and pita on the side.
Keep reading for more ideas!
- Souped-Up Soup: Open a can of your favorite lower-sodium veggie soup. Add half of it to a microwave-safe container with 1/2 cup of your favorite beans (rinsed and drained) and one cup baby spinach. Place the lid on the container and pack it up with six whole-grain crackers and one piece of part-skim mozzarella string cheese. When your stomach starts to growl midday, simply heat the soup in the microwave (according to the directions that are on the can) and enjoy it with the crackers and cheese.
- PB-and-Fruit Wrap: Spread one tablespoon peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla and top with 1/2 of a banana (sliced), 1/4 of an apple (sliced), and two tablespoons raisins. Roll up and pack in your brown bag along with one cup baby carrots. At lunch break, all you have to do is enjoy!
- BBQ Chicken Potato: Pack about three ounces of shredded rotisserie chicken in your lunch bag along with a medium baking potato (about the size of your fist), 1/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce, and two cups bagged salad with two tablespoons of your favorite light salad dressing. When lunch hour strikes, puncture the potato several times with a fork and microwave it for five minutes to bake. Let cool slightly and then slice it in half and top it with chicken and barbecue sauce. Enjoy with the salad topped with dressing on the side.
More on Self.com:
- Chicken Soup That's Good For Your Heart
- Fresh Soups, No Cooking Required!
- Five Fun Ways to Eat Pumpkin