These clean-eating lemon macaroons are filled with bright lemon zest and lemon juice then dipped in dark chocolate for a delicious treat.
To learn all about these (almost) Paleo treats and Gina, check out her blog!
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- For the chocolate dip
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg whites, maple syrup, and salt in a large bowl. Beat with a handheld mixer (alternatively, do this in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment) until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Add the extract and lemon juice and beat again until just incorporated.
- Fold in the coconut and lemon zest until fully combined.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into a loose ball then place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While the macaroons cool, make the chocolate dip by combining the chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl. Heat until melted and stir together until smooth.
- Dip the macaroons in the chocolate, then sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Let the chocolate set for about 1 hour.
- North American
- 16 macaroons
- Total Time
- 12 minutes