What to do with all that gorgeous fruit you came home with after an afternoon of apple or pear picking? Make apple pear crisp, of course!
The soft, cinnamony fruit and crunchy oat topping is a perfect combination, whether you're spending a lazy Sunday in the kitchen or want to wow your friends at their dinner party.
Since it's vegan, it's lower in fat and cholesterol than the traditional dessert, and the pear addition adds a subtle, sweet twist, plus ups the fiber.
- 2 apples, sliced
- 3 firm pears, sliced
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of Earth Balance, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place fruit slices in the bottom of a greased 9-inch dish. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and water on the fruit.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add melted Earth Balance and mix until crumbly.
- Spread the crumb mixture evenly on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, so the top is lightly brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt, or enjoy by itself.
- Desserts, Cobblers
- 8 servings
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 20 mins
- Calories per serving
*Note that a quarter-cup scoop of vanilla ice cream on top adds 135 calories, 5.5 grams of saturated fat, 60 mg of cholesterol, 10.5 grams of sugar, and 2.5 grams of protein.