It's harvest time and amazing produce is plentiful, especially zucchinis and pumpkins. Why not take advantage of these veggies with a little Autumn baking? Here's my recipe for Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins. They're a cinch to whip up and take half as long to bake as regular loaves. Plus the smaller portion size allows you to enjoy them without inhaling half a loaf in one sitting, which is always a plus in my book.
To see how I make these savory muffins
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups Sucanat
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin (you can also use canned pumpkin)
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted (I used Earth Balance sticks)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin, melted margarine, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Then stir in the zucchini and nuts.
- Pour into muffin tins. You'll have enough batter for about 30 muffins. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until you can poke a toothpick in a muffin and it comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Then enjoy!
- Breads, Desserts
Do you have a healthy snack or recipe to share? Then share it in the Lite'n it Up - Healthy Recipe Group and I might just post it on FitSugar.