This Spring I've been looking for healthy dinner ideas that are different, tasty, and healthy. I was delighted to find this recipe for spaghetti with summer squash and peppers. Granted, it's not the easiest to make (in terms of cutting and slicing all the veggies) but it's really filling, super tasty, and definitely worth putting your knife skills to work. Plus, I'm a pasta fanatic so I love to add new healthy pasta dishes to my repertoire. For the recipe, just
- 1 slice day-old whole-grain peasant bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 2-inch julienne
- 1 small zucchini (courgette), cut into 2-inch julienne
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper (capsicum), cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat (whole-meal) spaghetti
In a blender or food processor, process the bread to make fine crumbs. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and saute until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until lightly browned and crunchy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the walnuts, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the yellow squash, zucchini, and carrot and saute until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Add the bell peppers to the pan and saute until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Return the squash mixture to the pan and toss to mix. Set aside and keep warm.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes or according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
In a warmed shallow serving bowl, combine the spaghetti, vegetables, and bread crumb mixture. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
Monounsaturated fat 7 g
Protein 11 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 56 g
Sodium 661 mg
Total fat 12 g
Fiber 11 g
Saturated fat 2 g
- Pasta, Main Dishes