Early Fall is a wonderful and tasty time. Summer produce is still abundant and Fall's early harvest is available too. One of my favorite veggies, celery spans the two seasons beautifully. Last night for dinner I made a simple Waldorf salad that pairs crisp celery with crisp apples, merging Fall and Summer into one healthy, refreshing salad.
I replaced the traditional mayonnaise with nonfat yogurt, making the dish even healthier. It was a hit with the entire family — even my young daughters liked it. To see the recipe, keep on reading.
To make this dish even more child-friendly, sprinkle each little bowl with cinnamon. To make it a little more savory, add a tablespoon of finely chopped flat parsley to the yogurt along with the salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced
- 1 sweet apple, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Butter lettuce leaves for garnish
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the lemon juice, then add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.
- Salads, Fruit
- North American
Do you have a lightened version of your favorite recipe you would like to share? Join my Healthy Recipe Group. It's chock-full of recipes that have been rehabbed for health.