Have a sluggish metabolism? Fight back by doing these things throughout your day to boost your metabolism from morning till night.
- Choose these every time you eat: Sounds crazy, but the chewiness of fruits, veggies, and whole grains makes your mouth work harder, and the high-fiber content also takes more energy to digest, which combined adds up to a 10 percent increase in calorie burn. Choose these foods in their whole, natural state to reap more of the metabolism-boosting benefits.
- Lean protein, too: Protein also requires more energy to digest while keeping you feeling full and satisfied, so be sure to include this essential nutrient in every meal and snack.
- Drop and give me 20: Right before every meal and snack, get on the floor and do 20 to 50 push-ups (choose the amount for your strength level). Short bursts of exercise can lead to an afterburn of 200 calories throughout the day, and lean muscle also burns more fat.
- Sip green tea or water: Green tea contains catechins, an antioxidant that raises resting metabolism by four percent (about 80 calories a day). If you're not into this beverage, sip plain old water throughout the day to avoid dehydration, which can slow down metabolism.
- Take five: Stress not only leads to high-calorie snacking — it can actually slow your metabolism down. So it's important to take regular breaks from your busy day. If you have a desk job, meditating may not be the best choice as studies have shown that sitting for an hour or more reduces the fat-burning enzymes in your body by as much as 90 percent. Get up and dance to your favorite song, go for a quick five-minute brisk walk, or move through this de-stressing yoga sequence.
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography