On days when I'm craving some comfort food, you can find me in my kitchen making nachos or this mouth-watering snack — vegetarian chili cheese fries. Even if you love the real deal — fries piled high with beef-based chili — my recipe below won't disappoint. I might add that it's much lower in calories than traditional chili cheese fry dishes because it's made without meat and is substituted with much healthier ingredients.
Here's the full recipe!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your potatoes (or vegetable of your choice) into fry-like slices.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle your olive oil over the baking sheet.
- Spread out your fries on the olive oil (toss to make sure the oil is evenly distributed).
- Pour the can of vegetarian chili in a bowl and mix in your chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fries on the tray.
- Allow potatoes to bake for 35 minutes until brown (toss at the 15 minute mark).
- Cover with your chili mix and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Pull out the tray and add the tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Sprinkle with your grated cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Main Dishes