Hungry Girl's Pantry Essentials
Lisa Lillien loves anything that cuts calories and not flavor, and she has a few smart essentials that she always keeps in her pantry:
- Tofu Shirataki Noodles: "I love pasta but I can’t be trusted around pasta, so [these are] an amazing pasta swap — the find of the century."
- Canned pumpkin: "I love using canned pure pumpkin in a lot of recipes. I make sauces out of it, I put it in oatmeal, I bake with it instead of using eggs or oil. It’s really an underutilized ingredient."
- Almond milk: "I love unsweetened vanilla almond milk, because I like things to taste creamy and skim milk is a little bit too watery. Almond milk is great for cereal, for oatmeal, for smoothies, for shakes, or if you just want to drink it straight. And it has 40 calories for 8 oz."
- Laughing Cow cheese: "They’re just a fantastic cream cheese swap, or you can use them in sauces, or you cook with them, and they [are only] 35 calories each."
- High-fiber tortillas: "They’re my bread swap, instead of having big pieces of bread. You can make burritos out of them, you can turn them into chips, you can make pizzas out of them. They can do a lot."