- 1 large bunch of red Swiss chard or rainbow chard (around 16 to 18 leaves)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tomato, chopped
1 block extrafirm tofu, cubed
1 cup water
1/4 cup roasted cashews, for garnish
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Rip leaves of chard of stalks and set stalks aside. Chop chard leaves into bite-size pieces, then wash and drain thoroughly. Rinse stalks, then chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté until golden brown — about 3 minutes. Add the chard stalks. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder, red chili flakes, and salt. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the chopped tomato and cook until tomatoes break down.
- Add chard leaves and cook on medium-high just until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes. Add the tofu and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15 minutes till chard cooks down and the flavors meld together.
- Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro just before serving.
Source: Calorie Counter
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving