If you are on the ketogenic diet or have heard about it, you know there's a lot of things you can't have. But that's not important. Let's focus on all the good things you can have — like cheese! And sour cream! And more cheese! Don't forget the avocados too.
Who says you have to give up going to your favorite fast-food spot because you're on a diet? It's so easy to modify when you're eating out to make it fit the keto diet, so there are no excuses for not sticking to it.
Some guidelines when eating out on the keto diet are to avoid grains, legumes, sugary dressings or sauces, breaded meats, and potatoes. Always go extra on the protein if you don't think you'll feel full, and don't be afraid to ask for a little more veggies for higher volume without being calorie dense. Another tip is look at the sides menu to see if there are any keto-friendly items you can add on to your order.
We're going to make it really easy on you because I know I don't like being that person who takes hours to look at the menu to decide what to order. Avoid the hanger and try one of these five delicious and filling meals you can order out on the go.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill's Salad: You won't be missing your burrito or rice bowl with this order. Pick your protein of choice and if you need more in your diet, go double. Ask for extra greens and add fajita veggies, fresh tomato salsa, sour cream, cheese, more lettuce, and guacamole. Don't be afraid to ask for more even if you get that glare over the counter.
- Subway's Rotisserie-Style Chicken Salad: Subway is a great option because you can customize anything as you like or even build your own, but this salad is perfect! It's loaded with black olives, cucumbers, green peppers, lettuce, red onions, spinach, tomatoes, and chicken. You can also add any cheese you'd like and avocado. Then just ask for some olive oil and lemon or vinegar on the side to dress the salad.
- KFC's Kentucky Grilled Chicken: Who knew you could go to KFC and get grilled chicken? Believe it because it's real. No breading, just grilled, and only 90 calories a piece. The perfect keto order is to get a few pieces of chicken with an order of green beans or cole slaw on the side.
- Five Guys' Burger Bunless Little Cheeseburger: If you haven't heard yet, Five Guys beat out In-N-Out as America's favorite burger chain. Good news is that you can still find out what the hype is about on keto. Just order the little cheeseburger without the bun and wrap in lettuce instead and add mayo, more lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, green peppers, ketchup, and mustard. Basically, stuff the hell out of it with veggies and low-carb sauces.
- Denny's Fit Fare Tilapia Ranchero: While Denny's isn't quite fast food, this may be the place to go on any diet if you want to eat out because the menu is huge and it has an entire section called Fit Fare with healthier options. The grilled tilapia is served with avocado, broccoli, and freshly made pico de gallo. All you have to do is ask if you can substitute the cheddar mashed potatoes for something like protein, a side garden salad, seasonal fruit, or dipping veggies.
Now whether you are very strictly or more loosely practicing keto, if you want to still eat out while on any diet, you'll have to be willing to be flexible. Eating at a fast-food chain may not always be the best option, but you can definitely tweak your way to making it more suitable for your diet. It's all about balance!