Parsnips are more than just craggy looking albino carrots. They are tasty tubers that are worth learning to love, and I don't think you will have to work hard to love them. Nutritionally speaking, parnips are like a cross between carrots and potatoes. They have a lot less vitamin A than carrots, but more vitamin C and a bit more fiber. Parsnips are high in folic acid, which is important if you are planning on getting pregnant in the near future.
Tastewise, the parsnip is also a blend of carrots and potatoes. They are sweeter than carrots and bit starchier, too. I don't think I am the only one who would say that they taste like Fall. They are in the height of their season right now, making them a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving meal. Parsnips are great roasted in a medley of Winter veggies and make a nice addition to mashed potatoes.
You can also turn them into tasty curry oven fries, and see how, just
- 2 pounds medium parsnips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry paste
- juice of half a lime
- 1 small green onion, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Peel parsnips. Cut by trimming tops and bottoms; slice in half crosswise to separate thick and narrow parts. Halve or quarter thick parts lengthwise, until all parsnip pieces are roughly the same size (this ensures even cooking).
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss parsnips with 2 tablespoons canola oil and spices. Spread in a single layer.
- Roast until tender and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, flipping parsnips halfway through baking time.
- While parsnips roast, mix yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, and green onion in a bowl to use a dipping sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 2 to 3
Serving these fries as a s side spruces up any soup and makes it a fun meal. Do you like parsnips? Let me know in the comments section below.
- Side Dishes
Serving these fries as a side spruces up any soup and makes it a fun meal. Do you like parsnips? Let me know in the comments section below.