When it comes to vegan protein, you can't go wrong with lentils. Naturally gluten-free and full of fiber, these tiny legumes are a healthy pantry staple I always have on hand — and Gwyneth Paltrow agrees. She shared this easy, quick, and satisfying salad in her most recent cookbook.
Tangy, bright, and clean, this recipe makes for a light yet filling lunch and even better leftovers; the longer this salad sits in the fridge, the better it tastes. To bulk things up, top off your lunch container with cubed tofu, or if you're not vegan, add some feta cheese, a chopped hard-boiled egg, or a portion of grilled chicken. Any of these additions would be delicious.
According to Gwyneth, this salad is best if it's allowed to sit for at least 30 minutes and served at room temperature.
- 1 cup French lentils
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse seeded mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Italian parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the lentils, turn the heat to medium, and cook just until the lentils are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils, place them in a large mixing bowl, and set them aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mustards, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and a large pinch of salt.
- Add the vinaigrette to the lentils along with the onion, tomatoes, and parsley.
- Season the salad to taste with salt and more lemon or olive oil if you like.
Source: Calorie Count
- Grains , Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving