If you're over corn but craving a crunchy taco, we have a solution: homemade baked taco shells featuring carrots as the main ingredient. Lower in carbs and completely grain-free, you will love biting into these crispy shells. Or you can skip tortillas altogether and treat yourself to an avocado taco bowl. Both are flavorful and fun options.
- 1 ½ cups peeled, grated organic carrot, about 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup water
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 cup shredded 4-cheese blend (parmesan, asiago, fontina, and provolone)
- ¼ cup organic yellow cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chile lime seasoning blend, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Line a 9"x13" baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash, peel, and grate the carrots into a large bowl. Add 1 cup of water and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave the carrots for 4 minutes.
- Allow the carrots to cool. Strain the cooled carrots and transfer to a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out all the excess water from the carrots by twisting them in the towel until there is no more liquid.
- In a clean bowl, whisk together the carrots, eggs, cheese, cornmeal, and spices.
- Using a small scoop, place two mounds of the mixture onto the baking sheet. Flatten out each mound until you get a very thin circle, approximately 5 inches across.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven. Using an offset spatula, flip each shell over and bake for another 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the shells.
- As the shells are baking, take out a cupcake baking tray and turn it upside down onto your counter.
- Once the shells are baked, quickly remove from the pan, gently fold each shell, and place in-between the cupcake cavities. As the shells cool, they will harden and keep their shape. Repeat the process until you finish with the batter.
- Add your favorite taco fillings and enjoy these ridiculously crunchy, low-carb carrot tacos!