If you're craving mac and cheese but are trying to cut back on pasta, this recipe is for you. Cheesy, creamy, and under 315 calories, this recipe lets Trader Joe's versatile organic broccoli slaw stand in for traditional noodles, so you won't leave the table feeling overstuffed and bloated from all that gluten. This recipe is delicious on its own, but it could also be cut in half (or shared) as a side dish with an additional source of protein. A piece of grilled chicken or lean steak would be tasty on top.
- 2 cups broccoli slaw (I used Trader Joe's)
5 grape tomatoes, sliced
1/2 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free flour
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used equal parts part-skim mozzarella and cheddar)
- Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add slaw, sliced tomatoes, and 1/4 cup water. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has evaporated and slaw has softened slightly, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another large skillet to low heat, and melt your ghee. Once it's melted, add the gluten-free flour of your choice, and whisk together until the flour absorbs the butter and the mixture thickens. Then, add your almond milk, and continue whisking until your sauce is nice and creamy.
- Add the cooked broccoli slaw and shredded cheese to the large skillet with the sauce, and mix to combine.
- Serve up your mac and cheese, and dig in!
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- North American
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving