For a spicy, hearty, and comforting meal, nothing hits the spot like a hot bowl of tortilla soup. Don't be tempted to grab a canned version at the corner store: cook a healthier homemade version (with incomparable flavor) in less than 20 minutes. This fresh and spicy tortilla-less soup is full of fresh produce and weighs in at less than 200 calories per satisfying serving. High in vitamin C and protein, anyone who loves Mexican-inspired flavors will find a new favorite healthy dinner in this oh-so-easy recipe.
If you're not fond of spicy foods, be sure to remove the seeds from the jalapeños before you dice them.
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, diced (and seeded, if you wish)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 pound of chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of two limes
- Avocado slices, lime pinwheels, or minced fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat ghee in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions until they are translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeños. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a medium boil, cooking for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, cilantro, and lime juice, and stir. Serve the soup topped with whatever garnish you prefer, and enjoy!
- North American
- Serves 6
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving