Nothing says holiday happy hour like a classic eggnog cocktail. While this thick and frothy drink may be a holiday tradition, its heavy cream base offers nothing friendly to your waistline. For a lighter take on this creamy drink, we turned to Richard Blais, the winner of Bravo's Top Chef All-Stars. Blais lightened up this drink using protein-packed Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. Finish with nutmeg, vanilla, and a pinch of cinnamon for a reduced-guilt drink that is just as decedent as it is delicious!
See the recipe when you read more.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
1 vanilla bean, split
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Saigon cinnamon
8 egg yolks
1 quart Dannon Oikos vanilla Greek nonfat yogurt
2 cups bourbon (optional)
- For the garnish:
- 1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- Heat mixture of low-fat milk, vanilla bean, cloves, vanilla extract, and Saigon cinnamon; simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks, then whisk into the warm milk mixture.
- Let this steep and cool, then strain.
- Add remaining ingredients to this cool mixture.
- Finish with a nice shaving of nutmeg, vanilla, and even more cinnamon if you wish!
Makes 12 7-ounce servings (with bourbon) or 12 5-ounce servings (without).
Calorie count with bourbon:
Calorie count without bourbon:
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American