Move over, almond milk, because banana milk is here — and it's here to stay. If you're scowling in disbelief or skepticism right now, we don't blame you. Banana milk? Since when can bananas be turned into milk?! Since Mooala pureed them, mixed them with roasted sunflower seed butter and cinnamon, and poured it all into a cute yellow bottle.
Mooala's Banana Milk is made only from six ingredients — with no added sugar whatsoever — and it's all certified organic, non-GMO, and nut-free. If you're allergic to nuts, you don't do well with dairy, or you're vegan (or you just like anything that tastes remotely like bananas or cinnamon), this is the milk for you. It's only 60 calories per serving; it has three grams of fat, seven grams of carbs, and three grams of sugar, which occur naturally from the banana.
Now what about the taste? Is it slimy? Chunky, perhaps? Nope, it has the same texture as any other milk you've had. It has a lovely undertone of cinnamon, and I've been using it as the base of my morning smoothies for the past few days. It's pretty damn good.
We had a little taste test here at the POPSUGAR offices, and here's some of the (totally honest) feedback we got:
- "Subtle flavor, great fragrance. Would love for oatmeal, pancakes, or other baked goods."
- "I was initially turned off by the smell, but surprised by the taste. Subtle, without tasting artificial. Would be bomb as the base of a smoothie."
- "No real taste there — and then cinnamon. Could be good for chia pudding."
- "On the first sip, the creamy banana flavor and spices were quietly followed by a heavy sunflower seed flavor that threw me off. Once it registered, the second, third, and fourth sip were really smooth. I would definitely buy this!"
- "Smells like banana bread — yum! I would absolutely try this in cereal, coffee, baking, oatmeal, and smoothies. Light, refreshing, creamy, and not cloying. I love bananas, so maybe I'm a little biased."