When I ditched dairy over the Summer, I didn't realize how my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup obsession would be affected. I'm not gonna lie — Halloween was really tough, having to live without that perfect marriage of chocolate and peanut butter.
You can make these almond butter cups that are dairy-free, but if you also need to avoid nuts, your candy dreams just came true. These chocolate cups are filled with a sunflower seed and date mixture that — let me tell you — tastes even more decadent than Reese's. And bonus — you get to use these adorable candy molds, so you feel like an actual chocolatier.
These babies are 52 calories apiece and offer 1 gram of protein and 0.7 grams of fiber. They take 40 minutes to whip up, and everyone will be so impressed with your candy-making skills.
If you don't have a candy mold, just use mini silicone or parchment paper muffin cups. You'll just need to make fewer since these are smaller.
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli minichips)
1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
10 small dates, pitted
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Buy 2 silicone candy molds (15 piece).
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Do this slowly on low heat to prevent burning the chocolate.
- Pour a small scoop of the melted chocolate into the bottom of each cup and use a small spoon to coat the chocolate all the way up the sides. Do 28 cups.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set for a few minutes while you make the filling.
- Make the sunbutter-date filling by adding the sunflower seeds, dates, and sea salt in a food processor until a thick mixture forms.
- Remove the chocolate cups from the fridge and place a bit of filling in each cup, using your fingertip to press the filling in firmly.
- Pour a dollop of melted chocolate on top of each cup, covering the sunbutter-date filling, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Place in the fridge for another 10 minutes to set.
Source: Calorie Count
- Desserts, Chocolate
- North American
- 28 pieces
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving