If you've ever rented a pair of snowshoes, you'll probably agree that it was really fun and fairly easy to get started.
But you can't rent forever. Here are some tips when buying your own snowshoes:
- Know that they can be pretty expensive, depending on what you want. They range in price from $100 - $250.
- Deciding what kind to buy depends on where you'll be tromping. You can get snowshoes for easy flat trails, steep and icy inclines, backcountry, and ones to run in.
- Snowshoes are also made with different materials. Most are made with light-weight aluminum, but you can also get traditional ones made out of wood and rawhide.
- There are also different bindings. There are ones that are made with durable fabric straps that adjust easily to any boot size. There are also bindings made out of plastic, that mold to your toes and heel for even more of a custom fit. Some have buckles and some have cinches for easy entrance and exit.
- Snowshoe size is based on your total weight (you and your stuff).
- Whatever snowshoes you choose, make sure you have really supportive and warm boots to wear with them. Bring those boots to the store and try on all types of snowshoes so you can get a feel for what you like.
You can look at their models online and then visit a dealer near you to try them on.
You'll be happy once you have your own pair, so you'll be ready to go snowshoeing as soon as the snow falls.