To build a strong core, it's important to strengthen muscles to work as a whole. This high curl position from Pure Barre works your front abs for that coveted six-pack, and then twists to work the sides of your core, or obliques. Feel the burn with this dynamic move, which sculpts your abs and inner thighs at the same time as you squeeze in on a ball.
- Begin in a seated position with your knees up and a ball or pillow between your thighs.
- Tuck your hips by pulling your abs back and in, toward your rib cage. At the same time you tuck, squeeze in on the ball with your inner thighs. Do this 20 times.
- Lift one of your legs up in a tabletop position. Repeat the tuck and squeeze motion 15-20 times.
- Repeat on the second side with your opposite leg in tabletop position.
For More Challenge: Release Hands
- To challenge yourself even more, you can release your hands with your palms facing in.
- Complete 15-20 reps on each side.
- Extend one of your legs from tabletop position and twist toward that straight leg. You can reach past your top thigh and grab underneath with both hands for support.
- Repeat the tuck in your hips and squeeze with your thighs 15-20 times. Complete the opposite side.
See a special bonus move after the break!
- For added bonus: Hold onto your extended thigh on each side and rotate your core further in the same direction. Do this 10 times on each side to finish.
Model: Pure Barre instructor Juliann Witt at Pure Barre San Francisco, CA