- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Earth Balance (or other margarine), melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
6 teaspoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender.
- While the squash is baking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook five minutes. Mix in the kidney beans and raisins and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Boil two cups water, one cup quinoa, and the bouillon cube together. Once this comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until quinoa is cooked. Season cooked quinoa with cumin, salt, and pepper. Then stir in the veggies and beans.
- Stuff each squash halve with about a cup of the quinoa veggie mixture, and sprinkle with one teaspoon cheddar cheese. Cook another five minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Makes six servings.
- Grains , Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern