The NewYorkTimes.com recently had a fascinating article about how running has taken on a whole new light these days. Instead of just strapping on a pair of sneaks and hitting the sidewalk, runners are looking for more these days. From Chi Running to running camps, if you are looking to learn how to really run, it can be done.
Running camps are really the latest fad in running and while some may call it gimmicky, there is nothing wrong with perfecting your run in hopes of preventing injuries down the line. Keep in mind that you'll pay a price for these camps and you have to be really prepared to run while you're there, so they're not for everyone. Here are a few notables:
- Craftsbury Running Camps in Craftsbury, Vermont has several camps for all levels throughout the summer that are week and weekend long. Prices range from $379-$679.
- Dick Beardsley Marathon Running Camps in Waubun, MN is a week of eating, running, attending seminars, talking one on one with coaches in Minnesota. Prices range from $999.
- The Orange County EZ8 Running Camp is an 8-week outdoor running program (day camp) for women that offers running instruction & motivational tools - packed with fun and energizing activities designed to help you reach your fitness and running goals fast, no matter your age, size or fitness level. Price is $260.
- The Jim Ryun Running Camp will be held in Gettysburg, PA and Fort Collins, Colorado. Beware that this camp is heavily Christian and geared more towards teens as they believe in developing the total runner - physically, mentally and spiritually. Price is $475.
- Coach Benson's Smokey Mountain Running Camp is a week long adult running camp in Asheville, NC that includes a run up Mt. Buzzard Bait (a tiny little run...straight up a VERY steep hill). Prices start at $795.