Nothing beats a salad when it's warm outside! FitSugar reader CarCarDawn posted this recipe in our Healthy Recipe group — a crunchy and refreshing salad with roasted red peppers, snow peas, and crunchy walnuts.
Colorful meals are nutritional meals! This salad can be made with any number of seasonal vegetables and optional additions.
Learn how to make the salad (and strawberry-coconut water) after the break!
The ingredients listed below will make two servings:
- 5 small beets, roasted (To roast beets, wrap them in foil and place in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, until tender. Let cool and remove skins)
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 10-12 snow peas
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- Candied Walnuts (To make, melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon sugar - or Stevia - in a pan, on low heat. Add a handful of walnuts and stir constantly, until coated and sugar is slightly caramelized)
- Feta Cheese
- Divide the lettuce and vegetables between two plates. Cover with walnuts, cheese, and dressing if desired.
- I made a dressing out of a drizzle of black cherry vinegar (any vinegar will work) and olive oil. The vegetables have so much flavor on their own that very little is needed, and could easily be done without.
- 1 large handful strawberries
- 2 cups chilled coconut water (or plain filtered water)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 handful ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth. Enjoy!
Warm weather has us ready for even more fresh, delicious recipes! Share yours in the Healthy Recipe group in the Fit Community.