Your bacon-cheeseburger-loving friends are going to be jealous when you take a bite of this vegetarian deliciousness. So robust in flavor, these hearty burgers are made with the goodness of sweet potatoes, black beans, millet, and corn. And the creamy avocado sauce on top is like a beautiful ribbon tied around your birthday present — it adds the perfect touch.
Savory and simple, this dinner will only cost you 367 calories — much less than the 520 for a regular burger, and it's packed with vitamin A.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats and gluten-free hamburger buns. To veganize this recipe, substitute soy yogurt for Greek yogurt when making the cream sauce.
- For the burgers:
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 cup dry millet
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- For the cream sauce:
1 ripe avocado
3 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Roma tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the sweet potato for 50-60 minutes or until soft.
- While the sweet potato is baking, cook the millet until soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is baked and cooled, combine sweet potato, oats, one cup of black beans, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil in a food processor. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sweet potato mixture with the remaining beans, the corn, and millet.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Place heaping spoonfuls of the mixture onto the hot pan, and use the back of the spoon to pat them flat and form four-inch-diameter patties. Brown both sides of each burger.
- While the patties are cooking, mash the avocado with a fork. Mix in the Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt. Stir in the tomatoes, and set aside.
- Serve on a bun with a dollop of avocado cream sauce.
- Main Dishes, BBQ
- North American
- 8 burgers
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving