All the recent news about poor sleep quality being bad for women's health is keeping me up at night! Not only can lack of sleep increase your cardio risk profile, it can increase your risk for breast cancer as well. I, for one, sleep next to a snorer and his "funny breathing" often wakes me up. To protect my sleep, I have decided to play hard ball with my hubbie.
Here are a few things to try for keeping the snoring at bay:
- Tape a tennis ball (I said I was I was playing ball) onto the pajama top of the snorer to encourage side sleeping, instead of back sleeping which promotes snoring.
- Those prone to snoring should avoid drinking alcohol close to bedtime since it can increase snoring.
- Snorers should avoid drinking milk and eating milk products before bed since dairy products can increase mucus production and mucus can increase snoring. On the other hand, if you sleep with a snorer you should drink a cup of warm milk since it does help induce sleep.
- A lot of people are allergic to animal dander, so have your pet sleep somewhere other than your bedroom and see if that decreases the snoring.
- Losing weight can significantly reduce the severity of snoring. This is not to say that all snorers are overweight. Excess weight on the neck can decrease the air opening of the throat, which increases the chances of snoring.
- Earplugs!!! I have heard of many marriages being saved by earplugs.
If you have a technique for dealing with snoring that I didn't mention, please share it in the comments section. You could help save a relationship.