- 3/4 pound plum or other ripe tomatoes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon mild paprika
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
- With a paring knife, cut a shallow x on the bottom of each tomato. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the tomatoes and boil 30 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a bowl. When cool enough to handle, peel and discard their skin. Cut the tomatoes into quarters lengthwise. Using your fingers, discard the seeds. Transfer the tomatoes to a blender.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, garlic, and paprika, and puree until smooth. Remove the center cap, and with the motor running, add the oil in a steady stream, blending well. Season with salt and pepper.
- North American
- Makes 1 1/2 cups or 24 tablespoon-size servings
- Calories per serving