Doing crunches on the ball is one of the most effective ways to tone your core, but the basic move can get a little stale. Mix things up and work your abs harder with these challenging variations.
- Bring your legs together. The closer your legs are, the harder it is to stay balanced on the ball, which means the better the ab workout.
- Slow down the movement. Count 1-2-3 up, and 1-2-3 down.
- Add a little weight to your torso by holding a light dumbbell in your hands in front of your chest. This will provide added resistance and further challenge your abs.
- Roll the ball so it's just above your hips instead of under the upper or middle portion of your back — crunches are much harder in this position.
- Lower your torso all the way back into Wheel Pose in between crunches to make you abs work even harder.
- Add a twist to really target your obliques (love handles), touching your elbow to the opposite knee as you crunch up.
- Work your upper body at the same time. Place the ball under your shins while in plank position, and do a Knee-Tuck Crunch.