How good does this zucchini apple breakfast cake with cashew glaze from FitSugar reader be-healthful look? To sweeten the deal, it's vegan and gluten-free, which means that almost anyone will be able to enjoy it. She posted this recipe in the Healthy Recipe community group.
See the recipe when you
* 2 cups finely ground almond flour – I use JK Gourmet
* 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
* 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 2 flax "eggs" [2 tbsp freshly ground flax + 6 tbsp water]
* 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
* 6 medjool dates, pitted
* 1/4 cup apple juice, room temperature
* 2 tbsp yacon syrup – alternatively you can use maple syrup, I chose yacon for its slight molasses taste and lower GI
* 3/4 cup zucchini, grated – squeeze out the moisture over the sink
* 1/4 cup apple, grated – leave the peel on! – squeeze out the moisture over the sink
* 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
* 1/4 cup dried apple or diced apples
* 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4-6 hours
* 1 tbsp coconut oil
* 3 tbsp almond milk
* 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
* 1 tsp lemon juice
* 1/4 cup sucanat sugar, ground fine – I used a coffee grinder
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2-4 tbsp almond milk – depends on how thick or thin you want it. I used 4 tbsp to make it into a thin glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x9 cake pan with coconut oil. Alternatively you can use a 6 cup casserole dish.
- Prepare flax egg and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, quinoa flakes, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Place coconut oil, dates, apple juice, and yacon in a blender. Process until smooth and transfer to the bowl of flour mix.
- Stir mixture until well combined, then fold in zucchini, grated apple, pecans and dried apples.
- Drop mixture into prepared pan, place on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Serve with almond milk and drizzle with cashew glaze.
- Line a two-cup glass container with cheese cloth.
- Combine cashews, coconut oil, almond milk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the container, cover and leave on the counter overnight.
- In the morning, stir in sugar, vanilla, and almond milk. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
Got a similarly delicious recipe? Head on over to the Healthy Recipe community group and share one of your own.
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.