Whether you're lactose-intolerant, vegan, or cutting back on dairy, here's a hot chocolate that everyone can enjoy. The recipe is simple to put together, and the added cinnamon brings a new depth of flavor to the nostalgic beverage.
Keep reading for this dairy-free hot cocoa recipe.
Since there is no added sugar in the recipe, then, if needed, feel free to add a touch of stevia or agave nectar to sweeten.
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (preferably at least 70 percent cacao), finely chopped
- Bring milk and cinnamon sticks to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks, rinse, and reserve.
- Whisk in cocoa and chocolate vigorously until mixture is foamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide among mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.