It's a staple at Summer BBQs, but when you're trying to make healthy choices, many macaroni or pasta salad recipes are far too high in fat, calorie, and sodium. Swap out your old recipe for this fiber-filled salad; crisp veggies, whole wheat pasta, plus a low-fat dressing come together to create a tasty pasta dish that's less than 215 calories per serving and packed with vitamins A and C.
Between the chopped pickles and tangy dijon mustard, the flavor of this vegan Summer side is so good you won't even miss the mayo! Keep reading to learn all about your new favorite pasta salad recipe.
This recipe could easily be translated for a gluten-free crowd — just swap out the whole wheat fusilli for a brown rice pasta.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 ounces whole wheat fusilli, cooked
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 kosher pickles, diced
2 red peppers, diced
2 yellow peppers, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Whisk white-wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add whole wheat fusilli, and pour in the vinegar and oil mixture. Add dried basil and oregano, and use a large spoon or spatula to make sure everything mixed in evenly.
- Add kosher pickles, peppers, celery, and grated carrots to the pasta bowl. Mix well.
- Once all the veggies are mixed in, add the two tablespoons of mustard, and mix it up again!
- Chill until you're ready to serve, or enjoy immediately.
- Pasta/Noodle, Side Dishes
- North American
- Serves 8 to 10
- Calories per serving
- 213 per serving