Make sure the custard sets before you run it through the ice cream maker. If you leave the custard in the fridge overnight, the fats from the coconut milk will separate. Simply blend the custard in a food processor or blender until smooth. Then pour the blended custard into the ice cream maker.
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon agar flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground saffron
Pinch sea salt
3/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
1-2 tablespoons rosewater, or to taste
1/2 cup organic brown rice syrup
- Ice Cream Maker (Prefreeze bowl, if applicable)
Food Processor or Blender (optional)
- In a saucepan, whisk together coconut milk and agar flakes, and let sit for 10 minutes to open agar flakes up. Turn on flame, and add saffron and sea salt. Bring to a simmer and cover. Stir occasionally, and cook 20-30 minutes or until agar flakes have completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in rosewater and brown rice syrup. Pour custard mixture into a shallow pan, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for 25 minutes, or until custard sets.
- Pour custard into ice cream machine, and churn for 20 minutes, or until firm. In last five minutes of churning, add pistachio nuts. Makes about a quart of ice cream.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern