Sleeping is one of those things that we all say we're going to do more of . . . and then never actually do. But it's a more serious problem than you think. While we were getting serious about drinking more water and adding more sleep to our schedules, we began to wonder what would happen if we didn't follow through. We know what happens when you don't drink water (it's scary), but what about when you don't sleep?
As it turns out, the effects can be crazy serious — and weight gain isn't even the worst of it.
In the earlier stages, you'll experience effects like:
- Weakened immune system
- Lowered sex drive
- Impaired judgment and higher risk of accident
- Blemishes, dull skin, puffiness, or dark circles
When you consistently don't get enough sleep, it takes a serious toll on your body — it can even lead to death.
- Greater chance of coronary heart disease and/or stroke
- Greater chance of developing diabetes
- Higher risk of cancer
- Worsened symptoms of depression
- Worsened symptoms of anxiety
- Weight gain
- Shortened life span and increased risk of death
Symptoms of Fatigue
Before you notice the effects of skipping zzzs, you'll likely notice these symptoms that may be indicators you have a serious problem.
- Tiredness (seems obvious, but . . . )
- Faintness or dizziness
- Aches, chills, or muscle soreness
- Loss of appetite or nausea
- Unusual irritability, moodiness
- Physical fatigue and muscle weakness
- Blurred vision
Product Credit: Stella McCartney PJ set