I love swimming. I really, really do. What is cool is the American Council of Exercise backs me up on this one. So if you are not already in love with the pool here are a few reasons to consider starting an affair with swimming.
- The buoyancy of water reduces the "weight" of a person by about 90 percent, so it is a great form of cardio if you have problems with any of your weight bearing joints or arthritis. This is also the reason it is recommended to folks with back problems and pregnant women.
- While swimming may not tax your knee joints like running does, it will give you a great cardiovascular work out while working your muscular strength and endurance, as well as your flexibility.
- The resistance of water is perfect for a strength-training workout - instead of weights, the water itself provides the resistance.
- Swimming is meditative. You really focus on your breath (since you are not listening to music) and the feel of the water on your skin. I feel relaxed after a run, but I feel relaxed while I am swimming.
- When swimming, your arms work way more than your legs making swimming a perfect complement to running or biking.
I am always telling you to mix up your workouts, and those are my reasons to throw swimming into the mix.