While studies are mixed as to whether or not vitamin C reduces the severity of a cold, it is an essential vitamin that keeps your immune system strong and healthy. Here are the top five vitamin C packed fruits and vegetables that are in season during November.
- Guava (one medium fruit / 280 percent vitamin C daily value)
- Broccoli (one cup / 168 percent vitamin C daily value)
- Orange (one medium fruit / 128 percent vitamin C daily value)
- Brussels Sprouts (one cup / 125 percent vitamin C daily value)
- Kiwi (one medium fruit / 120 percent vitamin C daily value)
Remember that vitamin C is water-soluble, which means cooking reduces the vitamin content. Lightly steam or blanch your broccoli and brussels sprouts to maintain as many nutrients as possible. Other seasonal vegetables high in vitamin C include bok choy, butternut squash, and leafy greens like Swiss chard. What is your favorite way to load up on vitamin C?
Nutritional Source: Calorie Count